Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sleep

I know we all love our sleep, but sleep is particularly sacred to me. I think it is one of the most important things we do, and I'm sure there are tons of medical journals out there that would back me up. Unfortunately, the days of 9 o'clock ZZZZZs are gone from me forever. I'm lucky if I get to bed before 11.

The other night as Husband and I were getting ready for bed, I told him how I often feel like the speaker in Robert Frost's poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening." The lines that resonate with me the most appear in the last stanza.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Husband gave me the look he usually does when I try to express my feeling by quoting poetry and asked me if I feel like this every night. Not every night, but most nights. I don't think he knew what to make of this. I wasn't complaining, not even close. It's just the way I feel.

This week has been tough--throw in the towel kind of tough. In most cases, I can departmentalize the craziness that comes my way, push it out of my mind, and then bring it back when I need to deal with it and sort through it. Not this week. The craziness was beyond the reach of my cool "push it away" button. I didn't know what to do.

Enter Husband.

Boy do I love this man. Thread for thread and stitch for stitch, he was custom created for me. He knew exactly what I needed, and calmed me with the sweetest words ever uttered by a husband. My head was no longer spinning and I thought that maybe I just might be able to sleep. And guess what? As reported by husband, I was snoozing before him, which proves he is the best medicine EVER because I had completely given up on the prospect of sleeping...but there I was, sleeping like a baby in the arms of my husband, The Medicine Man.

And then there was last night. Our pillow talk kept us up well past 11 o'clock and we were both dragging this morning. No worries. On my way to work, I just got myself a Diet Coke from McDonald's {in case you're wondering and you're an addict like me, they've got the best Diet Coke around}. Problem solved.

And besides, whenever I felt my eyelids getting extra heavy today, I remembered they are like that because I have an incredibly full life, with lots of wonderful things in it that keep me up well past my bedtime.

And I also have a Medicine Man husband for a best friend who I like to talk to so much, I just can't get it all in by lights out.

And I've got miles to go before I sleep.

So for now, I'm ok with droopy, sleepy eyes.

No comments: