Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Jelly that Made Me Want to Die...Sort of



The other night, I got together with a couple of friends to make jalapeno jelly. I've had it before, and had to stop myself from eating the entire jar in a day...it's that good. Those of you who haven't tried it before may think I'm crazy, but beware, once you do, you'll be hooked too.

I was not only excited to make some jars of this yummy stuff, but also about learning how to make jelly, the canning process, and so on.

So we chopped our peppers, simple enough, and after I was done chopping my peppers, oh my oh my, my hands were on fire, even after I washed my hands a thousand times. During the entire process, I kept soaking them in ice water, which helped at the time, but once I returned home, the pain was unbearable. It felt like I stuck my hands in fire and left them there to cook...so painful. I was on the verge of tears, acting like a big baby and refusing any remedies my husband offered me {stupid I know}. After my husband scoured the Internet for a solution, and we tried about five of them, soaking my hands in cold milk finally worked, which allowed me get some sleep that night.

So the moral of the story is this: Wear gloves when you chop spicy peppers

But I still LOVE this jelly and went home with seven jars of it.

Now some of you may be asking, how does one eat this yummy yummy jelly? It's delish on a ritz cracker with cream cheese...I promise!

No comments: