Saturday, September 10, 2011

Remembering Grandpa Del

Photobucket

My grandpa passed away last week, which was a first for me. I wasn't particularly close to him, but I don't think sorrow cares about that. I burst into tears and did the ugly cry as soon as I got off the phone with my father, who informed me Grandpa wasn't expected to make it through the night. In fact, as I write these words, I'm getting misty eyed. It didn't matter that he was 85 and had lived a good life, or that he had been sick with Parkinson's disease for several years, or that I knew he was now experiencing peace this world could no longer offer him. My grandpa was gone and I was sad.

His memorial service was perfect. I learned some new things about him that day, like how he had a beautiful singing voice, or that he stole a military jeep {while in the navy} so that he could run off and marry my grandma {very romantic}, or how he was on a torpedo-carrying submarine during the war. Why didn't I know these things, these really cool things about my grandpa? I wish I knew what his voice sounded like when he sang "I'll Follow the Sun," his favorite Beatles song. And I wish I could ask him about stealing that jeep. I mean, did he really think he would get away with that one?

Sadly, there's much I didn't know about him. But one thing that stands out to me about my grandpa is the love he had for my grandma. It was always so apparent to me that he was crazy about her. They were sweet and affectionate with one another, even in the very end when his mind wasn't all there. They were married for 66 years and raised five children together.

Quite a successful life, I must say.

Photobucket

Notice how these two lovebirds have matching bathing suits? That's because my grandma made them. She made them matching bathing suits! Maybe the most adorable thing I've ever seen. Watch out Mr. Rogers, an idea has been planted in this brain of mine. Now if only I could sew.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket





No comments: