Wednesday, December 21, 2011

why owning a spider may not be such a bad idea

Photobucket

Ok, so I get that some of you may be rolling your eyes at me and even gagging right now.  I get it... spiders are ewwwwwwww.  I completely agree.  I once stared at one that was lurking in our hall cupboard for about 25 minutes before I mustered up enough courage to kill it.  And when it finally did meet its fate {death by shoe} I did the ewwwwwwww dance {I know you know what I'm talking about} while cursing my husband for not being home to do the deed.  Rest assure it was a large, chunky spider, so my behavior was completely condoned...obviously.  

With that said, Sugar, as we call her, is not a bad idea as far as pets go.  Now if you're looking for a creature to cuddle and bond with, Sugar is not for you.  But if you're searching for a pet that's unique, interesting, extremely low maintenance, and will outlive old Fluffy, Sugar is indeed your gal.

She is a Chilean rose tarantula.  We know she's female because that is what the spider guy at the pet store told my husband.  She is very mild-mannered and can even be handled by us.  Her diet consists of a cricket every week or two.  In the summer we hunt our own crickets, and for the rest of the year, we spend a whopping 10 cents a week on her diet.  On the rare occasion we get the cool guy at the pet store to retrieve our crickets, we pay nothing.  She doesn't smell, we rarely clean out her dwellings, and she has even molted once {little man took that one to school for show-and-tell}.  

So for now, because husband and I are not ready for a furry pet, Sugar is perfect for us.  I don't hold her or talk to her or anything like that, but I will admit I love observing her through the glass and even sometimes watch her eat, but who wouldn't?  I promise you would.  You may say you wouldn't, but the temptation to watch is just too strong.  It's impossible to look away.  I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E.

No comments: