Wednesday, February 1, 2012

in honor of love #1

I happen to love Valentine's Day.  I didn't always feel this way.  I was one of those haters that thought this holiday existed so retail stores could have a hay day with their sale of chocolate roses and lame stuffed animals embroidered with "Will You Be My Valentine?"  And let's not forget the ultimate chessiness: those ridiculous jewelry store comercials.  I know you know what I'm talking about.  They are ice skating, and he or she falls {can't exactly remember}, they catch each other and then there it is.  Some brand new sparkly thing he presents her with.  And then smoochy, smoochy, their love is renewed.  I don't think that's very realistic.  Realistic is when I got out of the shower a few weeks ago and was still in my towel when my husband presented me with a box that contained some beautiful earrings.  They were an anniversary gift, given to me a week before our anniversary because husband cannot hold off on a gift.  He is absolutely incapable of waiting for the actual occasion, but that's ok; I think it's sweet.  We next had ourselves a little smoochy, smoochy, but that was it.  No snow softly falling on us as we circle around the frozen pond in our ice skates.  I much prefer receiving a gift while sopping wet in a bath towel.

Like I said, I do love Valentine's Day, just not the cheesy jewelry commercials or last minute drugstore gifts.  But I am a fan of love, the sincere kind, and expressing that as often as possible.  I love love and feel so darn blessed because there is so much of it in my life.  So, to honor this holiday which celebrates the stuff life is made of, I'm going to post each day with my two favorite mediums: words & pictures.  So get ready to celebrate a month of love. 

To start us off, a picture of the Mr. and me taken on our wedding day and possibly my favorite poem on love.  I'd like to point out that this poem is a translation from Spanish and is probably 100 times more fabulous and romantic in it's original form, but no hablo espanol, so English it is.

Photobucket

Sonnet XVII

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

Pablo Neruda {aka THE man}

Note: Our wedding photographer was Tonya from Tonya Joy Photography.  She's completely brilliant and I will forever be grateful to her for capturing our day in such a beautiful way.  So if you are in the Southern California area and looking for a wedding photographer, I highly recommend Tonya.

1 comment:

Melissa P.Jones said...

It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm happy that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock Guitar Bundle